Ndfeb that is often referred to as Neodymium is the most widely used magnet. It has its dominancy and application in nearly every part. Moreover, it offers the chance to manipulate the properties as per your needs. Therefore, among all the China magnet, Ndfeb is used far greater than any other. It has unique properties that gain users’ interest greatly. It reacts with oxygen and form oxides that are sometimes permanent if not treated. That’s why all Ndfeb magnets all over the world, wherever they are used, are treated with a protective covering or plating that is fine enough to not affect the attractive forces of the magnet.
Commonly used Ndfeb plating
- Nickel (Ni-Cu-Ni)
- It is most frequently used
- Its color is shiny metallic
- Offers adequate price to performance ratio
- Thickness is approximately 12 micrometers
- Gold-coating (Ni-Cu-Ni-Au)
- A thin coating of 24K
- It gives shiny metallic color
- The thickness of the whole coating is around12 micrometers
- Here, gold plating can rub off easily. Hence, it should be used for decorative purposes only.
- Chrome (Ni-Cu-Ni-Cr)
- It offers good resistivity when getting rubbed or influenced by pressure. This is the reason why it is mostly used for coating sphere magnets.
- Color is dull, grey-metallic
- Thickness is almost15 micrometers
- Copper (Ni-Cu)
- Its color is shiny brown-reddish gold that may get changed over time because of oxidation
- It gives slightly weaker resistivity as compared to the others.
- Thickness is around10 micrometers
- Its copper shade surface rubs off with repeated use and therefore should be used for decorative purposes only.
- Epoxy resin (Ni-Cu-Ni-Epoxy)
- It is blackish in color
- Nearly 100% non-corrosive until the layer is fine
- May get crumbled quickly
- It offers the thickness of about 10 micrometer
Ndfeb magnets are the most versatile and commonly used as compared to the other types of magnets. Although, after plating, they get protected to a great extent, yet there are chances that in any way if plating does not remain intact, it will cause damages effectively.